Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This cookie is a holiday family favourite. The recipe comes from German Home Baking by Dr Oetker Please Note: The ounces in these measurements refer to weight and not volume.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 1/2 ounces sugar
- 9 g vanilla sugar (1 packet of Dr Oetker vanilla sugar)
- 3 drops almond essence (Dr Oetker bitter almond flavour)
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 3 1/2 ounces butter or 3 1/2 ounces margarine
- 7 ounces hazelnuts (ground twice)
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk (for brushing)
- 1 -1 1/2 ounce hazelnuts, halved, for decorating
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Mix and sieve together the flour and baking powder onto a pastry board or cool slab.
- 3Make a well in the centre and pour in the sugar, vanilla sugar, flavourings and milk.
- 4Draw in some of the flour from the sides of the well to combine with these to form a thickish paste.
- 5Add the cold butter or margarine, cut into small pieces and the ground hazelnuts.
- 6Cover everything with more of the flour and, starting from the middle, work all the ingredients quickly with your hands into a smooth firm paste.
- 7If the dough is sticky, refrigerate until no longer sticky.
- 8Roll out the pastry, in small quantities, to 1/8 inch thickness and cut out into circles, squares, hearts, etc.
- 9Lay cut out cookies on an ungreased baking sheet, brush with milk and decorate each with half a hazelnut.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hazelnut Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (836 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3741.6
- Calories from Fat 2019
- Total Fat 224.3 g
- Saturated Fat 63.6 g
- Cholesterol 226.1 mg
- Sodium 1123.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 395.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.9 g
- Sugars 166.3 g
- Protein 64.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: