Recipe by ~Srb~
I almost hesitated putting "coconut" in the title, because I do not like coconut myself. In fact, no one in my family does. But these cookies are quite a treat. So easy to make, and each one has a toasted hazelnut in the center of the coconut ball. What a great, tasty combination! Try them. You won't be disappointed.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut (for rolling the balls into)
- 60 -100 hazelnuts (toasted and peeled) or 60 -100 filberts (toasted and peeled)
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- If you haven't purchased toasted, peeled hazelnuts, bake in 300 degree oven until the skin (peel) starts to fall off. If all of the peels do not come off entirely, that is OK.
- Make a thick syrup by cooking the water, butter, unsweetened coconut (2 1/2 cups) and sugar.
- Add the powdered milk to this mixture. Mix well, so that there are no lumps.
- Allow two hours to cool. (To speed up this process, I pop this in the refrigerator).
- Around each toasted hazelnut, put a little of the cooled mixture, forming them into balls, so that the hazelnut is in the center.
- Roll each ball in the remaining coconut.
- Recipe makes 60 - 100 balls, depending on the size.