Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 lb hazelnuts, blanched and ground
- 1⁄3 cup flour or 1⁄3 cup cake crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup sweet red wine or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- flour or cake crumbs, to dust pan
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and the sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add the ground hazelnuts, flour, cocoa, liquid, vanilla, orange juice and zest; mix well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs whites until stiff but not dry.
- Carefully fold the whipped whites into the batter.
- Grease an 8-inch springform pan, dust with the flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan, bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Invert the cake and cool, remove from the springform pan.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve.