Recipe by Chef Mommie
I wanted to make these first but decided with PAC about to start, that I would go ahead and submit.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (or semi sweet)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted hazelnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9 inch diameter circle in the center of a baking sheet.
- Using a large bowl, stir together first four ingredients.
- Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and distribute them evenly over the flour mixture.
- With a pastry blender or two knives cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl stir together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts. I know yuk but the dough will be sticky.
- Spread the dough into an 8 inch diameter circle in the center of the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange additional hazelnuts around the edge of the dough for garnish if desired. With a serrated knife cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the scones comes out clean.
- Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool.
- Recut into wedges if necessary.
- Best served warm
- Cool completely before storing in an air tight container.