Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Diabetes Australia The Ultimate Diabetes Cookbook in response to a request for diabetic friendly recipes with nuts. Times are estimated and cooking time is chill time. Made changes to biscuit quantities (upped from 10 to 15 and upped water from 2 to 3 tablespoons) as per review from Mischka.
- 15 biscuits (Granita was specified, finely ground)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 500 g light cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons gelatin (dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts (crushed)
- Lightly grease a 22cm springform tin.
- Mix the ground biscuits with the water in a bowl.
- Press the crumbs into the tin.
- In a bowl beat the cream cheese and sour cream till smooth.
- Add the sugar, cocoa, gelatine, raisins and hazelnuts and enxure the mix is well combined.
- Pour onto the biscuit base and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
Do not expect a sweet, chocolaty cheesecake with this recipe. Instead, this recipe produces a beautifully textured treat with a nice tartness to it. Whilst making it I was a bit worried. The biscuit base did not cover the base of a 22cm tin, so I made another half quantity and that gave perfect coverage. This method produces a solid base but it is not as hard as one made with butter. I liked it. Also, the mix is quite a pale colour which reflects the strength of the chocolate flavour. The quanities of hazelnut and raisin are perfect. I will be making this again and will (probably) slightly increase the cocoa and sugar quantities. This recipe has lots of potential. Thanks Chef Potts.