Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Source: "Spago Chocolate" (IHHDRO)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and ground medium fine
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease, flour and line with parchment a 10 x 3 inch round cake pan.
- Reserving 2 tbl of sugar, sift together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the egg yolks at high speed.
- Turn to low and add the oil and vanilla.
- On low, gradually add the sifted dry ingredients, turn up speed mand beat until smooth.
- In an electric mixer with a whisk, whip egg whites until soft peaks form, graduaqlly add reserved 2 tbl sugar and co0ntinue to whip until whites are shiny and firm but not stiff.
- Fold 1/4 of the whites into the egg yolk mixture, then scrapethe egg yolk mixture back into the whites.
- Fold quickly to incorporate.
- Fold in the hazelnuts.
- Scrape into cake pan and bake until cake is golden and springs back when lightly touched.
- About 35 minutes.