Recipe by Marz
This was published in Cook's Country 2008 Dec issue, and this recipe was one of the winners of their annual holiday cookie contest. Submitted by Jennifer Parks from Tucson Ariz, this recipe promises to out shine your cookie platter this holiday season. The recipe is a combination of Nutella spread and actual hazelnuts.
Top Review by sunzica
I have baked this recipe three times now and the reception to friends I have given these to have raved about the taste. I have been baking for numerous years and love this recipe. The final product has a marvelous favor.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups nutella, spread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts, toasted and chopped fine
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven racks to upper middle and lower middle positions and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- With electric mixer on medium high speed, beat Nutella, butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, espresso powder and eggs and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and milk, and mix until just combined. Fold in 1/2 cup of hazelnuts and refrigerate dough until firm about 1 hour.
- Place remaining hazelnuts in a bowl. Add confectioners' sugar to another bowl. One at a time roll dough into 1 inch balls, roll in hazelnuts, then roll in confectioners' sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until set, about 8 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Cool 5 minutes on sheets, and transfer to wire rack and cool completely.