Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Biscotti means twice baked. Packed with hazelnuts and chocolate chips, these are perfect with coffee or a cappuccino.
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup white chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In separate bowl, stir together coffee, milk, egg, egg white and vanilla extract.
- Add coffee mixture to flour mixture.
- Stir by hand just until dough is soft.
- Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- With floured hands, shape into two 8" logs.
- Place logs 2" to 3" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray and flatten each into a rectangle about 3" wide.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and firm.
- Transfer logs to rack to cool 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 275°F.
- Place logs on cutting board, trim ends and cut each log diagonally into ½" to ¾" slices using a serrated knife.
- Place slices cut side down on baking sheet.
- Return to oven, and bake 20 minutes.
- Flip cookies over, and bake 20 minutes longer.
- Transfer to rack to cool.
- Variation: For a shiny finish, brush the tops of the dough logs before baking with a glaze made with 1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water.
I used espresso for the coffee and 2 whole eggs for simplicity. A natural to dunk in coffee.