Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are a very nice and tasty brownie. You can ice them if you wish. To roast hazelnuts for this recipe, spread shelled nuts in a shallow pan and put in a 275*F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until the skins crack. Rub with a rough cloth to remove the skins.
FOR CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground roasted hazelnuts
FOR BROWNIE BATTER
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate bit
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- For cream cheese filling, combine cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add egg, lemon juice, and vanilla and continue beating until well mixed.
- Use a spatula to fold in hazelnuts.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- For brownie batter, melt chocolate morsels and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Combine sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large micing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and lemon coloured, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in melted cooled chocolate mixture, then add flour mixture and continue beating until mixture is smooth.
- Fold in hazelnuts with a spatula.
- Spread half the chocolate batter into an 8 inch square pan.
- Spread cream cheese filling over chocolate.
- Gently spread remaining brownie batter over cream cheese layer.
- Pull a spatula through layers to create a marbelized effect.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting into 2 inch squares.