Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious with coffee!
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole shelled hazelnuts or 2 1⁄2 cups almonds, toasted and skins rubbed off
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut-flavored liqueur or 3 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (if using almonds)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- GINGER: halve the amount of the nuts and add 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1/3 cup minced candied ginger and 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger.
- Omit the hazelnut liquer and add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- ORANGE:Add 3 tablespoons grated orange zest and use orange liquer instead of hazelnut.
- CHOCOLATE: Increase the amount of cocoa to 1/2 cup, increase the liquer to 1/4 cup.
- Decrease nuts by 1/3 and add 1 cup white chocolate chopped, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- LEMON-PINE NUT: Omit the nuts, cocoa and liquer.
- Use lightly toasted pine nuts and add 1 1/2 tablespoons each of grated lemon rind and lemon juice.
- COFFEE: Using the hazelnut or almond recipe, add 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules.
- Also add 2 teaspoons ground cardamon or cinnamon.
- Halve the amount of the nuts and add 1 cup chopped dried apricots and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 350'F (180'C or Gas mark 4).
- Place half of the hazelnuts and ALL of the sugar in a blender (or food processor) and process until the nuts are finely chopped.
- Place in a bowl.
- Coarsley chop the rest of the nuts and add to bowl along with the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, blend the eggs, liquer and butter.
- Stir into the dry ingredients and knead gently with your hands to form a dough.
- Divide the dough in half and on lightly greased baking trays, form the dough into 2- 14 inch rolls- 3" wide and 1" thick.
- Bake at 350'F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut with a serrated knife into 1/2" slices.
- Return the slices to the baking trays.
- Place them UPRIGHT and SPACED WELL APART.
- Lower the oven to 300'F and bake for another 20 minutes until crisp and dry- but NOT brown.
- Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
These are great my son and hubsand loved them. I used hazelnut syrup instead of hazelnut liquer and they came out fine. Made to go with "Gastronomic Gelato Italiano" #307297 by mersaydees For ZWT 4
I had to add more flour, cause I had put to much almond flavor instead of liquer and it still turned out great. I am sending this out to all my coffe friends. Many thanks Susan
oh mi! these were gone in a minute!! i love hazelnuts and it goes best with a hot cup of coffee as you said. i prepared half of the batch with almonds, just for a change..