1/1 Photo of Hazelnut Biscotti
1 hr 20 mins
Delicious with coffee!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups whole shelled hazelnuts or 2 1/2 cups almonds, toasted and skins rubbed off
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut-flavored liqueur or 3 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (if using almonds)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2GINGER: halve the amount of the nuts and add 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1/3 cup minced candied ginger and 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger.
- 3Omit the hazelnut liquer and add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- 4ORANGE:Add 3 tablespoons grated orange zest and use orange liquer instead of hazelnut.
- 5CHOCOLATE: Increase the amount of cocoa to 1/2 cup, increase the liquer to 1/4 cup.
- 6Decrease nuts by 1/3 and add 1 cup white chocolate chopped, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- 7LEMON-PINE NUT: Omit the nuts, cocoa and liquer.
- 8Use lightly toasted pine nuts and add 1 1/2 tablespoons each of grated lemon rind and lemon juice.
- 9COFFEE: Using the hazelnut or almond recipe, add 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules.
- 10Also add 2 teaspoons ground cardamon or cinnamon.
- 11Halve the amount of the nuts and add 1 cup chopped dried apricots and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 12Preheat the oven to 350'F (180'C or Gas mark 4).
- 13Place half of the hazelnuts and ALL of the sugar in a blender (or food processor) and process until the nuts are finely chopped.
- 14Place in a bowl.
- 15Coarsley chop the rest of the nuts and add to bowl along with the dry ingredients.
- 16In another bowl, blend the eggs, liquer and butter.
- 17Stir into the dry ingredients and knead gently with your hands to form a dough.
- 18Divide the dough in half and on lightly greased baking trays, form the dough into 2- 14 inch rolls- 3" wide and 1" thick.
- 19Bake at 350'F for 40 minutes.
- 20Remove from oven.
- 21Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- 22Cut with a serrated knife into 1/2" slices.
- 23Return the slices to the baking trays.
- 24Place them UPRIGHT and SPACED WELL APART.
- 25Lower the oven to 300'F and bake for another 20 minutes until crisp and dry- but NOT brown.
- 26Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hazelnut Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (1546 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.3
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 44.3 mg
- Sodium 82.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: