Recipe by Irmgard
This is a beautiful yeast coffee cake flavoured with cardamom and cinnamon which I came across in a cookbook given to me many years ago as an engagement gift. I believe that the recipe is Latvian in origin.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 ounce dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- strawberry jam
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, mixed with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and salt into a warm mixing bowl and make a hollow in the centre.
- Warm the milk, add the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar, and leave until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into the hollow and mix to a soft batter with some of the surrounding flour.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and stand in a warm place until the batter is spongy and full of bubbles.
- Cream the butter with the rest of the sugar and add to the flour and the sponge in the bowl.
- Mix by hand to a soft dough, using a little more warm milk if required.
- Add the cardamom and knead well in the bowl until the dough is smooth and elastic and leaves the sides of the bowl cleanly.
- Press the dough in the bottom of the bowl, sprinkle with a little flour, cover the bowl with a cloth, and stand in a warm place until the dough doubles in bulk.
- Punch the dough down and knead lightly.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured board and divide into 2 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a smooth"sausage".
- Place one sausage in the bottom of a greased 8-inch tube pan.
- Make a hollow in the centre and fill with strawberry jam.
- Sprinkle with half of the sugar/cinnamon mixture and half the chopped nuts.
- Cover with the second sausage of dough, spread with strawberry jam, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar and nuts.
- Stand, covered, in a warm place until the dough rises almost to the top of the pan.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F, and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with whipped cream.