1/1 Photo of Hazelnut and Courgette (Zucchini) Bake
Mrs B's Note:
I've lost count of the number of times I've made this recipe, which comes from "Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Cookbook". Sarah Brown is a well known British cookery writer. This roast is a light, delicately flavoured centrepiece dish, which can be served hot or cold. Ideal for summer dining, and a useful way of using some of your garden's over-abundant crop of courgettes! The last time I made this recipe (after posting) I decided the mix was 'wet' enough without adding the pureed tomato, so I've updated this to show this ingredient as optional. Works fine with and fine without--your choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 ounces hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs courgettes, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 3 ounces medium oatmeal (or rolled oat flakes)
- 3 ounces ground almonds
- 2 ounces creamed coconut, grated
- 5 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed (optional)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/gas mark 4.
- 2In a large frying pan gently sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- 3Add the hazelnuts, courgettes, sesame seeds, cumin, turmeric and ginger; stir ingredients together and continuing to stir occasionally, cook over a moderate heat for 7-10 minutes until the nuts have lightly browned and the courgettes are soft (the hazelnuts will absorb the oil during cooking so add the remaining oil during this stage if you need to); remove from heat when cooked.
- 4Mix in the oatmeal, almonds, coconut and tomatoes (if using) and stir together thoroughly; season with cayenne, salt and black pepper.
- 5Grease a 1 lb loaf tin or a deep pate dish and press the mixture in well; bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is well browned and firm to the touch.
- 6Remove from oven when cooked and allow the roast to rest in its tin for a few minutes before turning out and slicing; for extra presentation you can decorate the top with additional thin cut slices of courgette that have been gently fried.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hazelnut and Courgette (Zucchini) Bake
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.9
- Calories from Fat 454
- Total Fat 50.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 15.3 g