Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious taco casserole. Serve this at your next summer get together. This makes 2 casseroles. From Taste of Home.
- 1 3⁄4 cups crushed saltines (about 40 crackers)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- seasoning salt
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) jar stuffed olives, drained and sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) package tortilla chips
- Divide crackers between two ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dishes. Top with rice.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomato juice, water and seasonings; simmer for 15-20 minutes. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with lettuce and tomatoes.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and Velveeta. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour over the tomatoes. Top with cheddar cheese and olives.
- Serve with chips. Refrigerate any leftovers.
My husband said it was outstanding ... a definite keeper! The rice layer was a great addition. The leftovers were great:)
my family loved this!