Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from the Wayfarer Restaurant in Cannon Beach, Oregon. This stew is perfect for cold nights and good friends. Nice crusty French, Italian or Sourdough Bread would be the perfect side to this stew.
- 907.18 g beef tenderloin or 907.18 g stew meat, cubed
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 4 slice bacon, cooked diced
- 354.88 ml yellow onions, diced
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 709.77 ml red wine
- 709.77 ml reduced-sodium beef broth
- 236.59 ml carrot, diced
- 473.18 ml potatoes, diced
- 3 stalk celery, diced
- 709.77 ml pumpkin or 709.77 ml butternut squash, cubed
- 118.29 ml pepitas (kernels) or 118.29 ml sunflower seeds, toasted salted (kernels)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat meat dry with paper towel. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper. Toss to coat well.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Add meat cubes and cook until they develop a dark brown crust on all sides. Add bacon, onions and thyme. Cook until onions are transparent.
- Add red wine and broth. Cover with lid and simmer on low until meat is almost tender and sauce thickens (2-3 hours).
- Add carrots, potato, celery and pumpkin. Cook until vegetables are tender (20 minutes).
- Ladle stew into bowls and sprinkle with pepitas.