Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Grand Prize Winner, 2000; Build a Better Burger Contest. Jamie Miller, Maple Grove Minnesota.
Make and share this Hawaiian Tuna Burgers With Maui Wowee Salsa recipe from Food.com.
Maui Wowee Salsa
- 2 cups chopped maui onions
- 1⁄2 cup minced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup pickled ginger, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 lbs boneless skinless yellowfin tuna fillets, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil
- 6 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split
- 1⁄2 cup bottled teriyaki sauce
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover; or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Make the salsa: combine all the ingredients in a bowl; stir to mix; set aside to let flavors blend.
- Make the patties: In a bowl, combine the tuna, panko, egg, mustard, garlic, honey, sesame oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne; mix well.
- Divide mixture into 6 portions; form the portions into patties to fit the buns.
- When the grill is ready, brush grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, just until opaque throughout, about 4 minutes on each side.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- Assemble the burgers: brush the cut sides of the buns with teriyaki sauce.
- On each bun bottom, place a patty and an equal portion of the salsa; add bun tops and serve.
This was very yummy! We had fresh caught Albacore tuna and it was great!
What great burgers! I had leftover tuna steak from the night before, so it was perfect. SUPER flavorful! I will eliminate the salt from the burgers (they were a bit too salty for my taste). Make sure you leave them a little thick, as they will be more moist! I simply served them open faced, topped with a pineapple salsa. . .I think mango salsa would be wonderful too.