Recipe by HeatherFeather
In Germany, you find this on many appetizer menus. I can't say that I have ever seen one in America, but they sure are tasty. These are especially kid-friendly. I also saw these made with diced chunks of ham and pineapple and shredded cheese on crusty rolls. French bread is really nice for these. Any bread will work as long as it is sturdy enough to hold the toppings.
Top Review by Linorama
Heather Feather this is one fine dish! I made it for my kiddo, using mozzarella cheese, and she loved it (first the cuteness, then the yumminess.) She said she wouldn't change a thing and when asked for a rating, she gave it a 5 1/2. I snuck a bite and thought it was a wonderful flavor combination, and secretly wanted to finish it off!
- 4 slices sandwich bread (any type you prefer)
- 4 slices cooked ham, thinly sliced (or use some cubed ham)
- 4 slices gouda cheese, thinly sliced (or your favorite white melting cheese)
- 4 pineapple rings (or about 1 cup tidbits)
- 4 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Toast bread slices in a toaster.
- Place toast slices onto foil lined pan and top with 1 slice each ham, then a pineapple ring, then top with a slice of cheese.
- Pop under the broiler briefly, just until the cheese melts- watch carefully- don't let the cheese burn.
- This only takes a few minutes, depending upon your broiler, and will vary depending upon the type of cheese you use.
- Remove toast from oven- the cheese should have melted around the pineapple ring, leaving a well to place the cherries.
- Serve immediately.
- NOTE: Some folks spread their toast with a little mayo, Miracle Whip, or butter before topping with the ham- by all means do so if you wish.