Take your family on a trip to Hawaii and Mexico and they don't even have to board a plane. These are chicken soft tacos with a tropical twist and they might just make your tastebuds do the hula. Everyone can make their own tacos according to their personal preference. For the pineapple salsa, you can use all pineapple or a combination of pineapple and your favorite tropical fruit such as mangos, kiwis or mandarin oranges. Make sure to plan ahead as the chicken needs to marinate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (reserved from canned pineapple)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 large cloves)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup canned pineapple chunk (reserve juice for marinade)
- 1⁄2 cup tropical fruit
- 1⁄2 avocado
- 2 tablespoons onions (green spring or red)
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and diced (optional)
- 6 -8 small corn tortillas or 6 -8 small flour tortillas
- grated monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- 4 ounces diced green chilies or 1 poblano chile, roasted seeded and chopped
- Marinade: Place chopped chicken breast pieces in a quart size plastic bag. Mix marinade ingredients and pour over chicken, seal bag and squish around to distribute marinade. Place in the refridgerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- After chicken has marinated, make the pineapple salsa: Dice all of the salsa ingredients and gently fold them together until mixed. You can use all pineapple or a combination of pineapple, kiwi, mangos, and mandarine orange segments. Sprinkle with the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- To cook chicken: Preheat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and marinade to the pan being careful of the rising steam and cook until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes). Turn up the heat to high and cook until the liquid evaporates and the chicken just begins to char - Make sure to keep your eyes on it at this point as it can burn quickly - Remove the pan from the heat.
- Let your family build their own tacos using the tortillas, chicken, shredded cheese, chopped green chiles, sour cream, salsa, and pineapple salsa.