Recipe by katie in the UP
I love the spin on tacos this recipe takes. We make tacos once a week, it's a fast meal on a week night. I found this recipe in the Feb/2007 issue of Better Homes and Gardens. ***there is some heat in this dish, we love...but you need to adjust to your own tastes***
Top Review by lildevil2222
These were good:) I was worried about these being too spicy for my son so I used mild italian sausage and omitted the jalepeno's and hot pepper sauce. I added a small amount of taco seasoning to the sausage and a VERY small amount of crushed red pepper to the salsa. Everyone ate it and enjoyed it:) Will make this again:) Thanks!
- 1 lb bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 12 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
hawaiian pineapple salsa
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (seeded if prefer)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Assemble salsa (tomatoes, cucumber, pineapple tidbits, red onions, cilantro, brown sugar and jalapenos) refrigerate.
- In a large skillet cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is browned and onion is tender; stir to break up sausage.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in pepper sauce.
- Spoon meat mixture into taco shells.
- Top with Hawaiian Pineapple salsa and sprinkle with cheese.