Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Great for sliders and light Summer fare, these are better than store-bought. Found on a bread machine forum: thanks CaliforniaBreadMaker for posting a great recipe! *The original recipe called for 1/4 cup of milk but after making these twice and adding more, I corrected it to 1/2 cup: it may be my bread machine, so add the milk carefully, but with 1/2 cup it turned out perfectly for me :-)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (*)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 potatoes, mashed or 6 ounces prepared mashed potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Prepare the bread machine: Combine ingredients as recommended my your machine's manufacturer.Use the dough setting.
- After the cycle, turn out onto a floured surface and preheat the oven to 350.
- Stretch dough into a log and with a sharp knife cut into 12 pieces.
- Use a 9x13x2 greased baking pan. Let it rise for an hour to 90 minutes.
- Brush with milk and bake at 350 degrees x20 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil after 10 minutes to prevent burning**.
- Note on directions:
- **One baker used a glass Pyrex dish, like you would use for lasagna,lined it, ungreased, with waxed paper. Raised and baked it as directed, and it did not require the aluminum to prevent burning. I make these in a lower oven shelf and also haven't needed to cover them up.
I made these the other day, and my husband deemed them "awesome"! That makes this a keeper recipe. I'll try them at Thanksgiving with the rest of our family, and see if they like them well enough to add to our repeater recipes. These were easy to make, too!
These are really good! My DH loves sweet rolls, but I don't particularly like my DMIL's recipe. I rolled them into balls in my hands and didn't brush with milk (next time I will). It made 13 rolls, and they were all gone the next morning. This is a keeper! Many thanks!
Wonderful rolls....not quite the same sweetness or texture as the store bought ones, but very nice. May try adding some extra sugar or Splenda next time.