1/1 Photo of Hawaiian Sweet and Sour Chicken
I've been making this for years - I even used to make it for the kids I babysat back in the 70's. It's not like Chinese sweet and sour - it's a brown sweet and sour sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken, cubed
- 1 egg, for coating
- 2 tablespoons flour, for coating
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, for coating
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, for coating
- 1/2 cup oil or 1/2 cup shortening, for frying
- 1 green pepper, boiled and cubed
- 1 bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup hot water, for sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, for sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, for sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, for sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar, for sauce
- 1/3 cup vinegar, for sauce
- white rice, cooked
- 1Whisk egg in small bowl. Mix flour, salt, and pepper in another small bowl.
- 2Dip cubed chicken in egg, then in flour/salt/pepper mixture to coat - Put in pan with preheated oil and fry in batches.
- 3While chicken is cooking cube the green pepper and boil till tender. Drain and set aside.
- 4Once chicken is done, make sauce:.
- 5In a medium saucepan put one cup of water and dissolve 1 bullion cube into it (or use 1 cup of chicken stock - either works). Add the juice from the can of pineapples, the soy sauce and the sugar. Mix the cornstarch into the vinegar before adding it to the sauce - it makes it easier to blend. Heat the sauce till thick and glossy. You will have to stir it often, especially when it starts to thicken.
- 6Put the chicken, drained pineapples and peppers into a bowl - add the sauce and mix.
- 7Serve over hot rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hawaiian Sweet and Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 612.4
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 138.7 mg
- Sodium 443.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 30.9 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: