Recipe by redwine
A little taste of the Islands. I came up with this recipe while DH and I were discussing our favorite McDonalds breakfast, Spam, Eggs and Rice.(Available at Hawaian locations) Why not a breakfast sandwich with Spam and Pineapple? They're great anytime. Spice them up with extra hot sauce or add a chopped, seeded Jalapeno pepper to the pineapple relish.If you can get a Sweet Maui Onion that's mo bettah !!!
Top Review by Koechin (Chef)
This sandwich was such a hit in my cooking with/for seniors class. I used little french rolls instead of the muffins and did spread with a little mayo first. I accidentally bough pineapple chunks instead of crushed, so I just put the drained pineapple, onion and 1 fresh jalapeno(instead of pepper flakes) in the foof processor.Then added the rest. That relish is FANTASTIC. Great on hot dogs or bratwurst too. Thanks for such a great and different sandwich. Koechin/Chef
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam (classic, lower sodium, or lite)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash soy sauce or 1 dash teriyaki sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 5 slices American cheese
- 5 English muffins
- mayonnaise (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain Pineapple really well and mix in Chili Sauce, onion, red pepper flakes, soy sauce and Tobasco.Set aside.
- Slice Spam into 10 slices.
- Split and toast English Muffins.You can keep these warm in low oven.
- In skillet fry Spam slices until lightly browned on both sides.
- Place 2 slices of Spam on English muffin half, add cheese slice and pineapple relish.Top with muffin half.
- If you'd like you may spread muffin halves with mayonnaise before assembling sandwich.