Recipe by threeovens
We watched this being made on PBS this morning and it looked so good I have to make this soon. This recipe is from Alan Wong. He says it goes well with rice or pasta. It is my understanding that paella is a rice dish, the seafood is secondary.
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- achiote paste (enough to coat shrimp)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 59.16 ml onions, small dice
- 118.29 ml chicken stock
- 453.59 g yellow tomatoes, chopped (Hamakua Springs tomato)
- 4.92 ml yellow bell pepper, chopped (aji amarillo)
- 24 manila clams, washed
- 8 large basil leaves, torn
- cilantro leaf, torn
Directions See How It's Made
- Place peeled shrimp in a small bowl and coat with achiote paste; let marinate 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven, over medium heat, then stir in onions; cook until translucent.
- Add in the chicken stock, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in tomatoes and aji; add clams, cover, and cook until they open, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, cover, and cook through.
- Garnish with basil and cilantro; season with salt if needed.