Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Studded with macadamia nuts, dried mango and shredded coconut, these delicious tropical treats are ideal for giving as gifts or enjoying at the end of a luau feast. From Williams-Sonoma Holiday Baking.
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (4 oz/125 g)
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts (4 oz/125 g)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp (4 oz/125 g)
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar (3 oz/90 g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (essence)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour (7 oz/220 g)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dried mango (1 1/2 oz/45 g)
- Position a rack in the middle of an oven and preheat to 325-degrees (165C).
- On a baking sheet, mix together the coconut and macadamia nuts.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool- leave oven set at 325-degrees (165C).
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the butter until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat, stopping once or twice to scrape the sugar to the center of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until light, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla and salt.
- On low speed, beat in the flour and then the coconut mixture and the mango to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough in half and press each half into a round cake pan 9 inches (23 cm) in diameter.
- Using fork tines, mark each round into 8 wedges.
- Bake until the shortbread is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pans to a rack and, using the marks as guides, cut into wedges.
- Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temp up to 3 days.