Recipe by s'kat
Studded with macadamia nuts, dried mango and shredded coconut, these delicious tropical treats are ideal for giving as gifts or enjoying at the end of a luau feast. From Williams-Sonoma Holiday Baking.
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (4 oz/125 g)
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts (4 oz/125 g)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp (4 oz/125 g)
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar (3 oz/90 g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (essence)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour (7 oz/220 g)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dried mango (1 1/2 oz/45 g)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position a rack in the middle of an oven and preheat to 325-degrees (165C).
- On a baking sheet, mix together the coconut and macadamia nuts.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool- leave oven set at 325-degrees (165C).
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the butter until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat, stopping once or twice to scrape the sugar to the center of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until light, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla and salt.
- On low speed, beat in the flour and then the coconut mixture and the mango to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough in half and press each half into a round cake pan 9 inches (23 cm) in diameter.
- Using fork tines, mark each round into 8 wedges.
- Bake until the shortbread is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pans to a rack and, using the marks as guides, cut into wedges.
- Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temp up to 3 days.