1/7 Photos of Hawaiian Saimin Soup
An inexpensive noodle and broth soup, saimin is the favorite local fast food of the Hawaiian islands (also considered the national dish of Hawaii). It is considered the supreme comfort food of the Islands, eaten at any time of day. You can find this soup at snack bars, coffee shops, and even on the McDonald's menu (in Hawaii only). Saimin is basically the same thing as ramen, a Japanese noodle soup. In Hawaii, you will get the real thing, fresh, thin white noodles in a clear broth with green onions, kamaboko (fish cakes), and sometimes ham or char siu (pork). Some people add chicken, eggs, shrimp, and whatever else is desired. The Saimin is eaten very hot with chopsticks or spoons, and the broth is then drunk from the bowl. Do not be afraid to slurp, as there is simply no quiet way to eat Saimin. The prep time really varies, depending on what toppings you choose. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 cups water (4 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package dried japanese soba noodles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1In a large pot over medium-high heat, add water and salt; bring to a boil. Add soba noodles and boil 4 to 6 minutes until al dente. Remove from heat, drain, and rinse under warm, running water.
- 2In a large pot over medium-high heat, add chicken broth and ginger; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add soy sauce and your favorite toppings; simmer for 5 minutes longer or until toppings are cooked. Remove from heat.
- 3Place cooked soba noodles in a large soup bowl; spoon broth mixture (with toppings) over the top and serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hawaiian Saimin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.2
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4631.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 18.8 g