From the 'Thursday' magazine.
Make and share this Hawaiian Rice Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple chunk
- 1⁄2 cup mango, chunks
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely crushed
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, chopped
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 clove garlic
- salt, crushed
- pepper, crushed
- Wash rice thoroughly.
- In a pan, bring stock and turmeric powder to a boil.
- Add rice.
- Simmer until rice is cooked.
- Drain, rinse and spread rice on a tray to cool.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- In a bowl, mix rice with pineapple, mango, walnuts, raisins, cucumber and celery.
- Gently fold in the dressing.
We forgot to use the turmeric powder and I think we lost a lot of flavor because of it. Also we used pecans instead of walnuts, but we really liked the nutty flavor. We served it cold with some Hawaiian chicken and it was good. Next time we'll definitely use the turmeric!
I made this recipe X5 for a Hawaiian themed birthday party. I am so glad I chose this recipe - - loved the combination of all the ingredients and it tasted so good!! I made the rice and prepared the rest of the ingredients the night before the party and put everything together a couple of hours before we ate. It was perfect! Thanks for posting this recipe.
Excellent flavor! I served this with dale!'s Waikiki BBQ Chicken and it was great. It was very fruity and the turmeric gave such a wonderful color and taste. Thanks for posting!