Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A touch of Hawaii, a delicious dessert and very easy to make. We first experienced a similar dish in Waikiki in 1972 and later I developed this recipe and it has been a big favorite.
Top Review by CoffeeB
Another first for me using one of your recipes. Pineapple in a crisp. I've had rhubarb...and of course your strawberry crisp and so knew this wouldn't disappoint. What a unique flavor the pineapple brings to this recipe Bill. I cut the amounts in 1/2 and used an 8x8 inch baking pyrex baking pan. This is as good the next day when all you have to do is heat up a serving in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and add your scoop of vanilla icecream. Thanks!!!!
CRUST AND TOPPING
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or 3 cups frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- CRUST AND TOPPING------------.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together quick-cooking rolled oats, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, all-purpose flour; mix well to combine.
- Add margarine or butter and using a fork or pastry blender, mix until crumbly.
- Spoon half the crumbly mixture into a 9 inch x 12 inch oven proof baking casserole dish and pat down with a spatula.
- Save the remaining half mixture for topping.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine cornstarch and granulated sugar; mix well.
- Combine beaten egg with cornstarch/sugar mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add chopped rhubarb, crushed pineapple and stir well to blend.
- Pour mixture over the crumbly mixture in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Sprinkle remainder of crumbly mixture over the top.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with your choice of ice-cream or whipping cream.