1/4 Photos of Hawaiian Red Tuna Poke
Poke. Most people on the islands pronounce it Pokey (like Gumby's red pal) but it's pronounced Poke (rhymes with Okay). Otherwise it would be spelled Poki in Hawaiian. Anyway, it's usually made with ahi (the Hawaiian word for yellowfin tuna), basically it's a raw fish salad, usually flavored with soy sauce, sesame oil, kukui nut, and seaweed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sashimi tuna, cubed
- 3/4 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3/4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup maui sweet onion, julienned
- 1/2 tablespoon chili flakes
- hawaiian salt, to taste
- white and black sesame seed (to garnish) (optional)
- dried seaweed flakes (to garnish) (optional)
- candlenuts, Crushed to garnish (kukui nut) (optional)
- 1Cube your tuna and dry it with a clean towel or paper towel. You don’t want lots of water on your fish when you’re about to make poke because you don’t want the water to dilute the flavor of your seasonings and sauces. Once it’s drained, put it in a mixing bowl and prepare your other ingredients.
- 2Finely chop your green onions. You don’t want huge pieces of green onions because it’s inconvenient to eat and gets in the way of the smooth and cool consistency of this dish. Next, cut your onions so that they’re long, and not diced. You can dice them, but I think it adds more to the dish to chop the onions in a different shape than your green onions and tuna. Think about it, the tuna is cubed, the green onions are sorta cubed shaped, so why do you have to also put onions in that are cubed? Make this dish interesting visually and tastefully with julienned onions.
- 3Combine your soy sauce, sesame oil and chili flakes into the bowl. Fold until well mixed. Since you’re already adding soy sauce, you don’t need to add a lot of Hawaiian Salt. Then garnish with whatever else you have (sesame seeds, seaweed, kukui nuts, etc.).
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hawaiian Red Tuna Poke
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.6
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 250.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 27.1 g