Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
My kids love Hawaiian Pizza and they love pasta. My eight year old asked for the flavors of Hawaiian pizza in a pasta dish! All three of the kids and the hubby loved this recipe -- hope your family likes it too!
- 1 lb medium pasta shells or 1 lb bow tie pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice
- 12 ounces cubed ham
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta 6-8 minutes until al dente (It will cook more in the sauce).
- Meanwhile, add 1 T. of olive oil in pan, saute onion and garlic until softened.
- Add tomato sauce, spices and juice from pineapple, bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- When pasta is almost done, add pineapple chunks and ham to sauce mixture, again bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce heat.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce mixture. Stir to combine. Sprinkle cheese on top, gently stir to combine and let sit 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
This is a very tasty and inventive recipe. Nobody is going to mistake this for actual pizza, but the flavors are there. Adding the juice to the tomato sauce makes sure every bite has the taste of pineapple. Next time I may try it with prosciutto instead of ham to give it a more classic italian flavor.