Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my take on pineapple stuffing (or pineapple filling). I had another recipe and I've tweaked it to my liking so it's not as sweet but still just as delicious! I started making this just for Easter but now it is requested ths I bring it to all holiday meals because it's like getting to eat a dessert with dinner! It's a very dense dish and definitely not for the faint of heart. It's also good served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
- 15 bread, slices cubed (I always use white bread)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and margarine in a large bowl.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in crushed pineapple.
- Fold in bread cubes, taking care to make sure that all pieces are covered with the pineapple mixture.
- Pour stuffing mixture into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the top (use more or less to taste).
- Bake, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes until the center is firm and springs back when touched and the brown sugar is nice and crunchy.
- If the brown sugar starts burning before the center is set, cover it with tinfoil and continue baking.