Recipe by Fairy Godmother
A sweet starter to any gourmet meal. First made during my teaching practicum by a grade 7 student for stone soup day. She was kind enough to share the recipe. Sure to please the pickiest eater!
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 (18 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 3 (18 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups light cream
- 3⁄4 cup whipped cream (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop onions.
- Heat butter in soup kettle, add onions and parsely. Saute until onions are golden and transparent. Stir in pineapple, pumpkin and spices.
- Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add water and cover. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch and milk until smooth. Add 1 cup of hot soup to cornstarch mixture.
- Stir mixture in to soup. Continue stirring while bringing soup to a boil.
- Lower heat and stir in light cream.
- Serve hot with a dollop of whipped cream and shredded coconut over each serving.
- - For a lighter version replace cream with skim milk or a vanilla flavored milk alternative such as rice dream.