Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a delicious cake that's a little fancier that the typical poke cakes.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- 2 cups non-dairy whipped topping
- grated coconut (to garnish)
- chopped nuts (to garnish)
- Prepare cake according to package directions using oil, eggs and water.
- Bake in greased and floured 9X13 pan.
- When cool, punch holes in cake with handle of wooden spoon.
- Pour pineapple over top of cake.
- Combine cream cheese, pudding and milk; beat until smooth and thick enough to spread.
- Spread over top of cake.
- Top with whipped topping, coconut and nuts.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I was worried cuz I didn't hear the buzzer for the oven and the cake over cooked a little. But it became very moist after pushing the liquid into the holes of the cake. I didn't have a can of crushed pineapple. So I took a can of chunk pineapple added the juice and blended. Added brown sugar too it as well. I also toasted the nuts. Light cake!!!
Mewh (aka- so-so). The pudding/cream cheese/milk didn't firm up for me- not sure why. I popped it in the fridge for a while so it was better, but not spreadable. I finally poured some over the top and put the whole thing back into the fridge, then just plopped some cool whip on top when I served it. It was good... but far from great. Not a lot of pineapple taste, IMO. It might be really good with some tweeking.... I take that back- it's a good white cake with some pineapple and cool whip.. but it might be a good unique dessert with some tweeking!
This is a great cake. Delicious and easy to make. It tastes even better refrigerator-cold. I omitted the whipped cream and garnishes. For our tastes, it really doesn't need that. The cheese and pudding layer was just enough. I did however, make an orange and (drained-off) pineapple juice "coulis" and drizzled the plates. Very pretty.