Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 2 medium-size papayas
- 6 firm bananas
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 lb raisins, seeded
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 10 1⁄2 cups pineapple, crushed
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 cup almonds or 1 cup macadamia nuts, blanched
- 4 tablespoons dried red chilies, ground
- Pare the papayas and cut into pieces.
- Simmer sugar and vinegar together for about 20 minutes to form a syrup.
- Add the salt and all other ingredients.
- Simmer in a heavy kettle, stirring constantly, for about 1 hour, or till papaya is soft and the mixture is as thick as jam.
- Seal in hot sterilized jars.
- Let stand for some days before using.