Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I really enjoy the sweet and sour flavor on a variety of foods (pineapple and green pepper just go together well esp. with vinegar and sugar). I have already submitted my sweet and sour pork chops, so here it is for the beef.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (Lawry's recommended)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 green pepper, chopped into bite size chunks
- 1 (4 ounce) can pimientos, drained (maraschino cherries can be used instead)
- Combine the first four ingredients, mix well, but lightly.
- Shape into meatballs--about 36 (may be frozen at this point and thawed as needed).
- Roll meat ball in flour and brown in the shortening.
- Place in a casserole dish and cover with the sweet and sour sauce.
- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE.
- Drain pineapple (set aside)- reserve juice.
- Add water to the juice to make 1 cup liquid.
- In a pot over medium heat, blend cornstarch in the juice, then add vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce, cook until clear.
- Add the pineapple, green pepper, and pimento.
- Pour over the meatballs and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Nice! My husband especially liked it, and even commented on how colorful it was! :) I used 20 oz can of pineapple and just used 1/2 cup juice and 1/2 cup water, but I think it would have been fine to use the full amount of juice from the can. I might like the green pepper cooked through a bit more and might saute it up next time and see how that is. I used the (10 oz jar) cherries and frozen meatballs like previous reviewers did. I might try pineapple tidbits next time. And I know this sounds crazy, but I might chop up some spam and throw it in next time for a bit of saltiness to counteract the sweet (Did you know Spam is very popular in Hawaii?). Thanks for the fun new recipe!
This was a huge hit at our luau themed party. I will definately make it again.
Pretty easy and delicious! Used frozen meatballs and used cherries instead of the pimentos. Gave it a sweetness that i loved! it was a big hit at my Luau Party.