Recipe by Trisha W
I really enjoy the sweet and sour flavor on a variety of foods (pineapple and green pepper just go together well esp. with vinegar and sugar). I have already submitted my sweet and sour pork chops, so here it is for the beef.
Top Review by mandabacca
Nice! My husband especially liked it, and even commented on how colorful it was! :) I used 20 oz can of pineapple and just used 1/2 cup juice and 1/2 cup water, but I think it would have been fine to use the full amount of juice from the can. I might like the green pepper cooked through a bit more and might saute it up next time and see how that is. I used the (10 oz jar) cherries and frozen meatballs like previous reviewers did. I might try pineapple tidbits next time. And I know this sounds crazy, but I might chop up some spam and throw it in next time for a bit of saltiness to counteract the sweet (Did you know Spam is very popular in Hawaii?). Thanks for the fun new recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (Lawry's recommended)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 green pepper, chopped into bite size chunks
- 1 (4 ounce) can pimientos, drained (maraschino cherries can be used instead)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first four ingredients, mix well, but lightly.
- Shape into meatballs--about 36 (may be frozen at this point and thawed as needed).
- Roll meat ball in flour and brown in the shortening.
- Place in a casserole dish and cover with the sweet and sour sauce.
- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE.
- Drain pineapple (set aside)- reserve juice.
- Add water to the juice to make 1 cup liquid.
- In a pot over medium heat, blend cornstarch in the juice, then add vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce, cook until clear.
- Add the pineapple, green pepper, and pimento.
- Pour over the meatballs and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.