1 hr 5 mins
Meatballs flavored with pineapple and fresh ginger in an orange Teriyaki sauce. I prefer to substitute ground pork for the chicken. For the meat loaf version check out the recipe for Glazed Hawaiian Meat Loaf. Recipe from "Sam Choy's Island Flavors".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 orange, juice of
- 1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons thin sliced scallions
- 1Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Combine meat ball ingredients and shape into meat balls.
- 3Bake 30 minutes or more depending on size.
- 4Simmer in the sauce for 5 minutes before serving.
- 5Sprinkle with scallions.
- 6Sauce: Combine cornstarch and water.
- 7Add remaining ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- 8Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hawaiian Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.4
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 169.6 mg
- Sodium 1456.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 37.5 g