Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Meatballs flavored with pineapple and fresh ginger in an orange Teriyaki sauce. I prefer to substitute ground pork for the chicken. For the meat loaf version check out the recipe for Glazed Hawaiian Meat Loaf. Recipe from "Sam Choy's Island Flavors".
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons thin sliced scallions
- Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine meat ball ingredients and shape into meat balls.
- Bake 30 minutes or more depending on size.
- Simmer in the sauce for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with scallions.
- Sauce: Combine cornstarch and water.
- Add remaining ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.