Recipe by Lorac
Meatballs flavored with pineapple and fresh ginger in an orange Teriyaki sauce. I prefer to substitute ground pork for the chicken. For the meat loaf version check out the recipe for Glazed Hawaiian Meat Loaf. Recipe from "Sam Choy's Island Flavors".
Top Review by Chef ChiSox#1
We needed a new dinner so I tried these and served them over rice. Fantastic. I used just a little over a pound of ground turkey and cut the ingredients for the meatballs in half. I also tired just regular dried breadcrumbs and it worked out fine. I made the full recipe for the sauce since it always seems like there is never enough for our family. It served a family of 4. (would have served 5, we had leftovers). Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons thin sliced scallions
Directions See How It's Made
- Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine meat ball ingredients and shape into meat balls.
- Bake 30 minutes or more depending on size.
- Simmer in the sauce for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with scallions.
- Sauce: Combine cornstarch and water.
- Add remaining ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.