Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A slightly simplified version of the original in Joy of Cooking. Sun Luck brand of sweet and sour sauce is good.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) bottle sweet and sour sauce
- Mix together beef, bread crumbs, soy sauce, and spices. Form into 1-inch meatballs.
- Saute meatballs in oil, turning several times to ensure consistent browning.
- When meat is cooked through, drain excess oil and add remaining ingredients. When heated through, serve over rice.