Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Having a luau? Wish you were in Hawaii? Try these
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry
- 1 (10 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- Mix together first six ingrediengs and shape into small meatballs.
- Brown in skillet.
- Combine cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup.
- Cook over medium heat, slowly adding water and soya sauce.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Add cherries and pineapple.
- Place meatballs in roasting pan and cover with sauce/fruit mixture.
- bake 300F 30 minutes.
- serve with salad and rice.
Everyone seemed to enjoy these meatballs at my party. My dad (the pickiest eater I know) tells me, "I've tried meatballs all over the place, and these are the best I've ever had. I need the recipe." And I've never even made meatballs before! I made the sauce (minus the fruit) and browned the meatballs the night before. Then the day of the party, I added the fruit to the sauce, placed the refrigerated meatballs in the crockpot, poured over the sauce and warmed for 2 hours or so on low. Turned out really easy. I'm not a huge lover of meatballs, and truth is I did not love these, but most everyone seemed to and that was good enough for me.
This dish was good, but just a little too sweet to our taste. I think next time I make it, I'll halve the brown sugar and see what happens. (I will be making it again though!)
Like other reviewers, I used frozen meatballs (it was for a potluck, so anything to make my life easier). Just thawed them and prepared the sauce as instructed. Then put it all in a crockpot on high for about an hour and then low for a couple more hours. Turned out great. The sauce was much better I thought it would be actually. I wouldn't normally make something like this but the potluck was Hawaiian in theme. But I'm glad I tried it.