Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
On the Islands,it's traditional to make and give this tropical fruit-nut bread as a gift. Imagine this bread toasted and buttered or made into French toast! From Sam choy's "Island Flavors".
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups peeled and diced fresh mango
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon into a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil and sugar and mix with dry ingredients until well blended.
- Fold in mango, raisins, nuts and coconut.
- Pour into loaf pans and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 to 15 minutes, unmold and let completely cool on baking racks.
This was an excellent bread. I should have cooked it a touch longer, because it was so moist inside that in was difficult to cut in the center. I served it at our Hawaiian Luau. Several people commented that they loved it and wanted the recipe. If you have any leftovers, it makes a good light breakfast.
This had a wonderful flavor. I halved the recipe using 50/50 white and wheat flour, egg beaters, 1 tbsp Enova oil and the rest applesauce, 1 cup frozen mango and omitted the macadamia nuts. It certainly was yummy, but did crust over a bit on the outside before the center was done. Thank you for the recipe.
I run a vacation rental in Hawaii (vrbo.com/236604) and I make this bread for all of our guests. Everyone loves it and I have emailed a link to this website to many guests after they ask for the recipe. I make it exactly as described, only I pour the batter into two smaller 7-1/2" x 3-1/2"loaf pans, with the extra into a single size pan for my hubby. I use Mauna Loa Dry Roasted Macadamia Baking Pieces - they have a deeper flavor than non-roasted. I also use golden raisins. Even though I use smaller pans, I still bake it for the same time, and it is still moist. It really is delicious!