Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A most wonderful combination of flavors! From 'The Lavender Cookbook'. If you want it vegan, switch to olive oil or your preferred butter substitute for the butter.
- 236.59 ml finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 14.79 ml freshly grated ginger
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 236.59 ml uncooked basmati rice
- 591.47 ml vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped (I saved a few nuts for garnish)
- 14.79 ml grated lemon zest (the orange is my change) or 14.79 ml orange zest (the orange is my change) or 14.79 ml lime zest
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter or 29.58 ml coconut oil
- 4.92 ml dried culinary lavender, ground up in spice grinder ('Provence' lavender is preferred. Use fresh lavender if you have it.)
- freshly grated black pepper
- Finely mince the onion and garlic either by hand or in a food processor.
- Heat the olive oil up in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion, olive oil, ginger and garlic to the sauce pan. Stir for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Rinse the basmati rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water for 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir the drained basmati rice, broth and salt in with the onion mixture.
- Bring to a medium boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the nuts, lemon or orange zest, butter and lavender.
- Cover pan and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and season with freshly grated black pepper.