A most wonderful combination of flavors! From 'The Lavender Cookbook'. If you want it vegan, switch to olive oil or your preferred butter substitute for the butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped (I saved a few nuts for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (the orange is my change) or 1 tablespoon orange zest (the orange is my change) or 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender, ground up in spice grinder ('Provence' lavender is preferred. Use fresh lavender if you have it.)
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1Finely mince the onion and garlic either by hand or in a food processor.
- 2Heat the olive oil up in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion, olive oil, ginger and garlic to the sauce pan. Stir for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- 3Rinse the basmati rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water for 1 minute. Drain.
- 4Stir the drained basmati rice, broth and salt in with the onion mixture.
- 5Bring to a medium boil.
- 6Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and liquid has evaporated.
- 7Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the nuts, lemon or orange zest, butter and lavender.
- 8Cover pan and set aside for 5 minutes.
- 9Transfer to a serving platter and season with freshly grated black pepper.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hawaiian Macadamia-Lavender Rice (Vegan Friendly)
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.7
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 198.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: