Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Loco Moco (loh-koo moh-koo) is Hawaii's original homemade fast food and can be found at just about any fast food joint, roadside diner, mom and pop restaurant or lunch wagon in the Islands. There are many different versions of Loco Moco but they have 4 basic ingredients. Rice, a beef patty, sunny-side up egg and gravy. This is for 1 serving so you might want to share - it's a HUGE dish! The cooking time varies depending on if you have to make the rice or gravy from scratch. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
The rest of Loco Moco
- 2 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup hot beef gravy, from a mix is fine
- 1 egg, cooked sunny-side up or over easy
- sliced green onion
- hot sauce
- Mix ground beef, 1 egg and onion in a bowl. Grill or cook in a frying pan, until cooked through.
- Place rice in a bowl. Top with hamburger patty. Place egg on top of patty and pour gravy over everything.
- Optional - serve with suggested toppings.
My grandson was here today and it's his birthday. The birthday person gets to pick the menu for the day and he was thrilled to hear that we were visiting the Pacific Islands this tour. Before I could even give him choices - he requested Loco Moco, lol.
He was in heaven chowing down on this and kept thanking me for his favorite Hawaiian meal. Thanks Nif for making me look like a hero today! This was a good, easy, and authentic lunch plate. Made for ZWT7 for the Emerald City Shakers.
This was VERY hearty! I used the recipe and fed three people(used three eggs). I was not sure I would like the gravy on it, but it was actually very good. I used leftover rice and canned gravy. I highly recommend cooking the egg sunny side up at over easy at the most, it really adds to the dish that way. Made for ZWT 7.
I was born & raised in Hawaii and love me some Loco Moco... it's pronounced "loh-koh moh-koh" though. ;)