Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
In Hawaii. the Pineapple is a symbol of Hospitality, so this "friendly" banana-pineapple bread with macadamia nuts is just the right thing ;) to serve when yo are having guests over or to take with you to give as a nice house warming gift or as a delicious treat for your hosts. I tasted this at a freind's house and it was delicious - she put rum & kahlua in it and was it scrumptious! :) Delightful. Enjoy this bread as a snack or toast and spread cream cheese over it for a tasty breakfast treat.September 3, 20005 diana'sdesserts.com. Didn't allow for cooling time.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted or 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 to 6 medium bananas)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, well drained (canned)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Line bottoms of two (8 x 4 x 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Spray parchment paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the first 5 ingredients (the flour through the cinnamon) and stir with a wire wisk to blend well.
- Stir in nuts to combine and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, oil, mashed bananas, drained crushed pineapple and the vanilla; mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient mixture and mix only enough to moisten the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the two prepared loaf pans, dividing equally between the two pans and level tops with a rubber spatula.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F (180 C) oven for 60 to 70 minutes, checking for doneness at 60 minutes with a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of breads.
- If toothpick or cake tester comes out with moist crumbs, continue to bake for 5 to 10 more minutes.
- The breads are done when they spring back when gently touched.
- Remove to wire racks and let cool in pans for 20 minutes, then invert breads onto wire racks, remove parchment paper and let cool completely.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- *These loaves keep quite well wraped tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil for up to 5 days at room temperature or 3 months in the freezer.
- Loaves can also be wraped in plastic wrap and kept in the refrigerator, if needed.
- ++HOW TO TOAST NUTS OR COCONUT:
- Heat oven to 350°F (180 C).
- Spread nuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown to golden brown, stirring occasionally. (The baking time will vary, depending on the type of nut.)
- Watch them closely to avoid over-browning.
- ***To toast in the microwave oven, spread nuts in a microwave-safe pan.
- Microwave on HIGH for 4 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring frequently.
- TO TOAST COCONUT FLAKES::
- ****Heat the oven to 350°F (180 C).
- Spread coconut flakes evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Stir the coconut or shake the pan frequently so it will brown evenly.
- Watch closely to avoid over-browning.
- To toast in the microwave oven, spread coconut flakes in a microwave-safe pan.
- Microwave on HIGH for 4 1/2 to 8 minutes, tossing the coconut with a fork after each minute.
- To avoid over browning remove toasted nuts or coconut flakes from baking pan immediately after baking or microwaving.