Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from Grocery Budget 101 - and the taste was so good I wanted to make sure and keep the recipe where I can find it again! The recipe called for alternating pineapple chunks(canned) and chicken on skewers that had been soaked in water - I have a cast iron grill pan and cooked the pineapple (canned) and marinated chicken on it - screaming hot ! and while it cooked I made up the sauce. NOTE : Changes to recipe : I skipped the cornstarch step, throwing out used marinade, made more marinade to drizzle over the dish at table. Added Bell Peppers and Onions to Fresh Pineapple chunks grilled along with the chicken. Used Boneless Skinnless Chicken Thighs instead of Chicken Breasts.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple chunk (Pineapple chunks,drained, fresh cut into chunks )
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or Sherry )
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- leftover marinade
- In baggie mix marinade - add chicken pieces to baggie and rotate until all the pieces of chicken are coated. I put the chicken in the refrigerator while I cooked up some rice, You can marinate for up to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill pan - until screaming hot, - spraying with cooking spray before adding chicken chunks from the marinate and placing the pineapple chunks around the chicken until all have been added to the grill. When chicken releases from grill, no cheating, turn and grill the chicken and the pineapple on the other side.
- Take the marinade left in the baggie and add it to a small saucepan and heat until boiling. Mix cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. When marinade is boiling, slowly add the cornstarch mixture and return to a boil and stir until thickened.
- Take the chicken and the pineapple from the grill and add to the thickened sauce and stir well until all is well coated.
- To serve place rice on platter and top with the chicken and pineapple.
- NOTE: I thought that adding some green bell pepper and some onions to this would make it even better -- maybe next time !