Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posting for ZWT 7 Recipe found in More Fun and Flavour with Spices by the Canadian Spice Association
- 13 1⁄2 ounces pineapple tidbits
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 ounce) canssmall whole beets
- Drain syrup from pineabble and combine it with vinegar, water, sugar, cornstarch, ginger and salt.
- Cook onion in butter in a saucepan until it is limp (about 3 minutes).
- Add syrup mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
- Add beets and remove from heat.
- Just before serving, add pineapple and reheat.
Absolutely great! I love beets as well as pineapple, so this dish seemed made for me to make & enjoy, which I did on both counts! Loved the boost the ginger gave these two ingredients, & I will be making it again! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed for the VIP in the current Veggie Recipe Swap]