Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Prepare Banana Dressing about 2 hours in advance and refrigerate. A very pretty presentation that can be served as a side salad, light lunch, or snack. Feel free to sub fruits if one listed is not available or not to your liking.
- 1 pineapple, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium cantaloupe (use a melon baller, or cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 medium honeydew melon (use a melon baller, or cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 papaya, pared and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup green grape, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup strawberry, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Prepare Banana Dressing:.
- Combine dressing ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth 15-20 seconds. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Combine all cut fruits in a large bowl and toss together gently.
- Mound fruit on individual, lettuce lined plates. Serve Banana Dressing in a gravy boat, or pour dressing over individual fruit salads.
This is really good as we love bananas. I didn't let the dressing sit that long at all and it was fine for us. I changed up the fruit to what I had available as well as what I thought would work better together. I used no pineapple or melon (had honeydew but don't like to mix is in fruit salad usually as that is not proper food combination and just thought it wouldn't taste as good in here with the other types of fruit). I did not have papaya on hand, added some green grapes, had strawberries but decided against using them as I didn't find them perfectly fresh. I added some fresh raspberries instead, fresh mango, sliced banana (liked it in this and would add it again), & orange segments without any pith. For the dressing I used Balkan (thick) yogurt to be corn free, dark brown sugar, & freshly squeezed lemon juice. I did not serve the salad over lettuce leaves as this was for breakfast. A make again with different combinations of fruit for breakfast without letting the dressing sit the full 2 hours. Made for ZWT7 Pacific Islands, for my team Food.Commandos
This was so delicious and refreshing. Even though the fresh fruits were tasty enough in their own right, I really enjoyed the banana dressing as a topper for this salad. This is a great side dish for a summer BBQ or picnic. Thanks, Brenda. Made for ZWT7, Mischief Makers.
I used this recipe for a cooking class that some friends of ours requested I teach. Instead of the papaya, we used mango. The dressing was perfect, very rick and thick and extremely easy to prepare. We served the dressing in a small glass pitcher so that everyone could have as much or as little as they wanted.