This delicious fried rice recipe is from the Westin Maui, Hawaii; where they serve it in a fancy version of a Chinese take-home box. It makes an neat party dish since it's easy to walk around while munching on the fried rice in a box.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- canola oil
- 1 lb firm tofu, diced
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, fine chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 5 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the rice the day before.
- Heat a wok to medium-high and add sesame oil and saute the tofu cubes, set aside.
- Add a little canola oil to the wok, add the onion, carrot and bell peppers and stir fry a few minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and continue to stir fry, break up the lumps; then add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and sambal oelek.
- Continue to stir-fry, adding the pineapple, macadamia nuts, and salt and pepper (to tste).