Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from The Mississippi Cookbook. Recipe submitted by Mrs. Maruice O'Keefe of Long Beach.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup Hawaiian Punch drink, red
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, whipped
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Cream shortening until light. Sift flour and measure. Sift flour with salt, sugar, and baking powder into shortening. Add punch and flavorings. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Bake in two 9-inch greased and floured layer pans at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until tests done.
- Make filling of pineapple, coconut, margarine, and cherries. Add powdered sugar for spreading consistency. Add pecans.
- Put cooled layers together with filling. Ice with a 7-minute icing. Sprinkle generously with coconut.