Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon
- 24 large shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- 6 tablespoons lard or 6 tablespoons goose fat
- 1 cup sweet and sour sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons coconut or 2 tablespoons maple sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh limes or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 7 tablespoons naturally fermented soy sauce
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mix flour, sea salt and pepper on a large plate.
- lightly beat egg whites in a medium bowl.
- spread coconut on another large plate.
- dip shrimp in flour then in egg whites.
- roll each shrimp in coconut until well covered.
- heat lard in a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat and fry shrimp until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Soy Sauce:.
- Mix all ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- makes 1 cup.
- Serve shrimp with sweet and sour soy sauce.