Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Inspired by a trip to Hawaii, these delicious, crispy golden shrimp have a nutty flavor, with a slight hint of coconut. The Honey Mustard Sauce is their perfect complement OR serve with Chinese Sweet and Sour Sauce, Chinese Sweet and Sour Sauce. Great for appetizers (use medium size shrimp) or a meal!
- oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour (OR 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt)
- 2 -4 tablespoons club soda
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cream-style prepared horseradish
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- SAUCE: mix together all ingredients and set aside.
- SHRIMP: Peel and devein shrimp, leaving the tails on.
- Rinse and drain.
- In Bowl 1, place 1/4 cup all-purpose flour.
- In Bowl 2, mix 1/2 cup self-rising flour with club soda to form a batter.
- In Bowl 3, place flaked coconut.
- Holding each shrimp by the tail, dip in flour to cover, then in batter, and lastly in coconut.
- Place each shrimp on waxed paper, repeating process until all shrimp are battered and covered in coconut.
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate for several hours if you like, making it a quick-cook dinner later that day or the next day.
- In hot oil, deep fry several shrimp for about 1-2 minutes until coconut is lightly golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat process until all shrimp are cooked.
- Serve with Honey Mustard Sauce.
- Note: Spicy cocktail (tomato-based) sauce is not good with these shrimp.
Great recipe! I added some spices to the batter like paprika and cayenne. Will definately make again.
My son told me this is a "keeper". I made no changes to this recipe. I ran out of coconut about three-quarters of the way through, but just put more in bowl #3.
This was just delightful! I did use 1 pound colossal shrimp. I found the recipe to use more club soda and I used 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes. The honey mustard sauce had just the right oomph!